The <e-UCM> research group is part of the Department of Software Engineering and Artificial Intelligence (ISIA) from the Complutense University of Madrid. The group gathers a number of research projects on the field of Learning Technologies and e-learning.
Our research is focused on developing methods, techniques and tools to simplify the production and maintenance of standards-compliant educational applications and e-learning systems. In this line, the <e-UCM> group is involved in several projects in the e-learning arena, where the key aspects are web-based systems applied to education.
All our research lines are both theoretical and applied, always trying to improve the application of web engineering methods to obtain new development processes. Our approach has a strong language-oriented aspect (specifically focused on mark-up languages and XML technologies) also taking into account the standardization initiatives to reach a broader audience.
The <e-UCM> research group is collaborating with key software firms (e.g. Indra, ATOS Origin, CEPAL) to produce educational e-learning platforms, serious games and simulations, and complex web systems. The outcomes of this collaboration are two research projects from the Spanish Ministry of Industry (lines Avanza and CENIT). The group also has strong research links with other relevant international research groups such as Harvard University (.LRN group) in the USA, Aachen University in Germany or the LAMS Fundation in Australia.
These are some of currently active lines of research:
- User Modelling (MetaLearn, AdaptLearn, Merlin, Inredis, <e-LD>, FLEXO, GAME-TEL)
- Adaptation (<e-aula>, AdaptLearn, MetaLearn, Inredis, <e-Adventure>, FLEXO)
- Assessment (<e-QTI>, <e-Adventure>, FLEXO, GAME-TEL)
- Learning Objects Model in Web-Based Learning (<e-aula>, OdA-Virtual, CID)
- Accesibility (Inredis, <e-QTI>, GAME-TEL)
- Educational Videogames and Digital Game-Based Learning (<e-Adventure>, <e-Adventure3D>, GAME-TEL, eduWAI)
- Web 2.0 in Education (Merlin, eduWAI)
- Distributed Learning Environments (REI, AdaptLearn, OdA-Virtual, <e-LD>, FLEXO)
- Educational Modelling Languages (MetatLearn, AdaptLearn, OdA-Virtual, <e-LD>)
- Agent technologies in e-Learning (SIMBA)